Monday, March 17, 2014

Totem Pole Story

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted a little sibling. I guess this is partially because most of my friends have younger brothers or sisters. I'm also the youngest of three girls. For some reason, I didn't want to be the youngest anymore. Luckily, this all changed about three years ago. The day my step-mom told me she was pregnant was a day I'll never forget. I was completely ecstatic and couldn't wait to finally have a little sibling. After a couple months, we found out that my step-mom was going to have a girl and that she was due on January 10th. By the time January came around, my mom had something to tell me. She told me that we had the chance to go on a cruise around the Caribbean. It sounded amazing. The only downside was that the cruise was during the week my step-mom was due to have her baby. When I realized this, I debated whether or not I should go. After talking to my step-mom about the situation, she convinced me to go. I was upset that I most likely wouldn't be able to be there when my little sister was born, but I'm glad I went to the Caribbean. On the third day of the cruise, we were docked in St. Thomas. My mom and I woke up at around eight and we went to the back of the ship to get breakfast. When we got there, we saw a bunch of people crowded around the railing of the ship. I went over to see what they were looking at, and there stretched across the clear blue sky was a rainbow. I took a picture, but it didn't compare to the actual thing. It was so vivid and beautiful. I just knew it was going to be a great day. The next thing I remember was my dad calling me. We weren't allowed to use our phones until that day, so I couldn't wait to talk to him. I answered the phone and the first thing he said was that he was at the hospital with my step-mom. I couldn't believe it was actually happening. I was finally going to have a baby sister. After my dad hung up, my mom and I made our way to the stores in St. Thomas. Today was the day we were going to get souvenirs for everyone. There were stands all around, so we stopped at a few. Then I found a homemade doll for my new baby sister. I felt bad that I couldn't be there when she was born so I had to get her a great present; and that doll was perfect. After shopping all day, my mom and I returned to the ship. I still hadn't heard anything more about my little sister when we boarded. I didn't want to miss the big announcement, but the ship was leaving and I was losing reception. Then all of the sudden, my phone rang. It was a text message from my dad. Along with exact weight and length measurements, he had sent me the first ever picture of my new baby sister. I was so happy that I had actually started crying. I just sat there for awhile, staring at the picture. I couldn't believe she was real. I also couldn't wait to finally meet my little sister. That day was definitely a day I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment